Saturday, January 8, 2011

"Congresswoman shot in AZ."....

As unfortunate a situation this is and I sincerely hope that the Congresswoman Giffords survives this terrible event, it isn't something that should be all that surprising to any of us. Why??? Presidents and Presidential candidates have been shot and killed before. So someone shooting at a congressional member isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Particularly as the economic and political climate is today within this country. To put it as simple as possible...there's a whole lot of hostility out there at government and the politicians that make up that political body.

The average "Joe" out there is feeling the impact of the economic climate and there are a lot of people who are suffering financially as well as being put in very precarious situation involving their jobs, their family and who sense of well being. Does it make it right or justified???? Absolutely not!!! and in no way am I or will I offer any remote justification here for this action.

All I will say is with the climate that exists in this county this action doesn't surprise me nor am I shocked by it. Personally I'm surprised it hasn't happened previously.

Having been in law enforcement for so many years we are always mindful that all it takes is "one nut with a gun to make a situation go to shit real quick" and today that appears to be the case.

There will be news coverage on this not only in a complete, manner as it should be, but it will be taken far beyond and reported on from every single angle with numerous "talking heads" offering their individual opinions, thoughts and Monday morning quarterbacking that will simply be over the top.

There will be so many "there should have been" or "how could this have happened" and then there will be calls for gun control and increased security and a host of other "to prevent this from ever happening again, we need to do this (fill in the blank)_________ and we need this done (fill in the blank)_________ and this should be outlawed (fill in the blanks)____________ and every politician will express grief, sorrow and shock at Congresswoman's Gifford's shooting, but deep down "they'll also think but for the grace of god that could be me".

Every day or nite that I got ready to go to work as a police officer and when I put on my gun belt and thought as part of my preparation to go to work  I would think "be prepared"!!!!. After all, I was strapping on a gun and part of my training was to be able to kill people. That gun on my right hand side of my gun belt wasn't there to keep me balanced from the gear on the left side of my gun belt toppling me over now!!!! We as individuals as well as politicians need to realize this....we live in a violent world now a days and have been for eons...and we need to keep in mind "worse case scenario" taking place. Most of us don't most of us don't think this could ever happen to them. So they don't prepare for that event that may come to us from out of nowhere.

As unfortunate as today's tragic event is, let it serve to all of us that none of us are immuned from being of a victim as she was today. The world is full of "loose nuts", evil people, and those who are so angry that events like this will sure to be  a "copied cat" situation again....they usually are.

Just remember, you never know when a situation is likely to go really bad really quick....be prepared and plan ahead....for if it were to happen, planning will not be possible...you'll at best only be able to "react" and how you plan an event like this is how you'll re-act. That's "rule 101" in police officer training..."you'll re-act as your last "training taught you"...and that will determine if you live or die...

Condolences to those who have dies and prayers and well wishes to those injuried.

No comments:

Post a Comment